Maple Hall is a Lexington, Virginia Historic Landmark Inn listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Greek Revival mansion was built in 1850 by John B. Gibson and named Maple Hill Plantation. The VMI Corps of Cadets marched through the plantation en route to the epic Civil War Battle of New Market in May 1864. The Guest House, built in 1824, is the oldest residence on the property.
Maple Hall Inn was restored to a historic inn in the mid-1980s and the Pond House constructed in 1990. This Lexington, Virginia inn has operated continually until December of 2012 when the owner passed away. The new owner, Philip Clayton, was raised at Hickory Hill Plantation and the Macky’s Tavern, a 1750 Inn and stagecoach stop in the foothills of House Mountain. He acquired Maple Hall in April, 2014, becoming the third VMI Alumnus to own Maple Hall since its restoration in the 1980s. Philip’s mother, Catherine Clayton was an innkeeper and loved gardening at Maple Hall in the early 1980’s. Perennials she planted then still bloom in the patio garden. Philip’s sister, Louisa, was married in the gardens.
The Inn reopened in August, 2014.